Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Life with Blogchik

I've been wracking my brains for days to think of a good blog name. Literary and Biblical allusions were just not cutting it. I toyed with the notion of calling it "Witty Fool" (with a Shakespearean quote to go with it), but I don't want to be saddled with "fool" in the title. I toyed with the idea of calling it "The Fifth Plagal Tone" but that would only attract fellow Orthodox people and I'm playing for all audiences.

So then in a moment of inspiration I thought of a brilliant song title by the band Cake. Of course! Alpha Beta Parking Lot! It's perfect! This blog could be anything.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you! I've got you bookmarked and will try to visit often.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chose 'Persistent Fool' after Blake. 'The Fifth Plagal Tone' would have attracted me even though I'm a Buddhist. It's something like what was called Hypodorian in the west?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @CCCCppppCCppp: 'The Fifth Plagal Tone' refers to one of the 8 tones used in Byzantine chant. (There are 8 tones in Russian chant as well, but none of them is called plagal.) I had to Google 'Hypodorion,' but I believe you are right: they are related. Byzantine chant is a descendant of the older form of Greek music.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypodorian_mode

    ReplyDelete